Friday, November 9, 2007

Poached Salmon

Here's the recipe for poached salmon that graced our table last night. I thought it was pretty good, but apparently you have to like salmon to really appreciate it.

1/2 onion, chopped small
1 clove garlic, mashed
Butter for sauteing

Saute garlic and onions in medium pot (choose one with a close-fitting lid)
add:

1/2 cup chicken broth

Bring to boil. Add 2 salmon steaks. Cover and simmer 10 minutes per inch of thickness of fish.

Remove fish and keep warm. Continue cooking to reduce sauce to 1/4 cup.
Whisk in

1 TBSP Butter (must be butter, no substituting)

serve!

I also added some fresh parsley and green onions to garnish, but I don't think it's necessary at all. The original recipe that was the inspiration for this had capers. I think the better your chicken stock, the better it will turn out. Someday I will post about chicken stock - it's so easy to make, and far better than store-bought.

I made this with roasted baby potatoes and tomato salad. yum yum.

I've been trying to figure out yummy ways to cook fish lately, because it is so good for you, but always gets left in the bottom of the fridge too long waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. This one's a keeper.

No comments: