Saturday, December 29, 2007

I have a feeling that things could have gone so much worse. Many doctors (in the states at least) won't even allow a VBAC induction, so I think we are fortunate that we even got to try. I was worried about what it would be like to have an induction - I've heard the horror stories - but ours went incredibly well. I wouldn't say it was the perfect birth because, to me, that happens out of the hospital with just me the mister and the midwife (not a room full of 10 people cheering you on), but it really was a great birth in spite of it all.

The midwife says that she thinks that sometimes when a baby needs to come out quickly mother nature steps in and gives you a quick birth. Our fluid level wasn't just low, it was almost non-existent. They broke my waters and no water came out. They weren't sure they even got it. Later there was one little trickle, but no other water ever did show up. No one knows why. They speculated that maybe there was something wrong with the placenta (hence quick induction), but the baby did fabulously, and the placenta looked great when it came out (We got to look, it was really cool. Mister says it's like a big liver, which is a good analogy, as it functions much like a liver. A liver with a bag attached.). Who knows what would have happened if we'd left her in there to cook a little longer. Maybe she would have been fine. Maybe not. We decided to induce when we did because we knew she was doing really well, and had the best chance of tolerating labour. Maybe she would not have tolerated it a week or two later, and we would have ended up with a c-section. I think, given the information we had at the time, we made the best decision possible. That's the best you can do.

The midwife says that "Little Munchie" is doing better than lots of full-term babies she's seen. She's very healthy, no jaundice at all, eating really well, and pooping up a storm. I feel like I'm in a dream. One where I'm grinning all the time. And napping. Oh, the napping. I am a lucky girl.

No comments: