Friday, October 19, 2007

Mmmmm.... Green Juice!

I've started making the most delectable green juice in the mornings. I hope this stuff still tastes good when I'm not pregnant, 'cause right now it's just what my body needs to start the day. It's light and not too sweet and not "green" tasting at all.
Here's the "recipe". Anyone who knows me knows I use the word recipe in the loosest way possible. I don't follow directions well. You don't need to with this one.

First of all, you will need a blender, and a fine mesh strainer is optional.
Start with a small amount of water in your blender. 1/3 to 1/2 cup. Fill the blender (loosely) with leafy greens - spinach, kale, swiss chard.
Process.
If it refuses to move stir it around and try again. if it still refuses to move add a little more water.
When it's all liquidy fill the blender again with even more greens (but NOT more water).
Process again.
Strain through a fine mesh strainer. This step is optional, but I like the texture better if it's strained.

While your green juice is straining put the rest of the ingredients in the blender. You can really add whatever you want, but here are 2 variations I like. The sky's the limit. I find the banana really helps the flavour.

option1:
1/2 banana
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup plain yogurt

option 2:
1/2 banana
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Add green juice and process.
Makes one huge serving that's enough to fill a pregnant lady for breakfast. That might be 2 servings for normals.

Like any smoothee you can add just about any fresh fruit, kefir instead of yogurt, hemp seeds, almond butter, or udo's oils.

This stuff has got to be good for you!! Lots of vitamin C, B vitamins, calcium, iron if you use spinach, not to mention enzymes and fiber.

No comments: