Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Aaaaaaahhhh, almost done.

I have only 2 1/2 weeks left of work, and can't wait. I've got big plans for the month of December. Making Christmas presents, getting the house ready for baby, cooking food for the freezer, hanging out with my daughter, but most important of all, getting used to being at home full-time. It's a different kind of life all together, and it'll definitely be a transition.

I'm not good at transitions. And I hated being at home last time. I never did get the hang of it.

It'll be so nice to not have to get up at 5am and force my body to wake up and get ready for work. But I think it's the unstructuredness (yes, the spell checker is having trouble with that one, too) of it all that gets to me. The day looms before you, and where the heck do you start. We'll have to get a routine going early on. And I guess that's why starting a month before you have to is a good thing.

When little A. was born it was the very first day of my maternity leave. I was at work the day before. There was no down time. No time to get organized. It's one of the many things that I hope will be different this time.


I found out today that my midwife has been practicing since 1974. That's before I was born. She could have been at my birth. That's another thing we're doing differently this time. Gathering the best people possible around us. Last time all the people we counted on for support (I'm not talking about family, I mean birth support) let us down in one way or another. From bad advice, to no advice at all. I feel like when decisions have to be made this time we have information. We have the best possible chance at a decent birth. And that's something to be happy about.

No comments: